Jones's Godmother and my dear, dear, dear friend Michelle, lost her mother, Peggy Schmitt, to cancer on Saturday. The funeral was earlier today. I am really at a loss for words, but want to try to mark my love and respect for Peggy here.
I first met Peggy at Michelle's 21st birthday party in Boston. Michelle and I had met each other only a night or two before (we knew we were true friends from the greeting 'yo'!) and she invited me to her 21st birthday dinner in Boston with her family and friends from Philly. I remember thinking "what are her parents going to think? 'This woman Michelle barely knows has actually come to Boston...what has she shown up for a free meal?'"...which they would have had every right to think...I WAS a student after all, it would've made sense. It made have crossed both their minds, and if it was what Peggy and John (Michelle's Dad) were thinking (which, knowing them now, I couldn't imagine it ever was), they never let it show; from the first moment I met them, their warmth, sincerity, generosity and humor was totally enveloping. On every meeting after that - dinners and drinks during the McGill days right up to the last time I saw them in Philly in July 2007 for Michelle and Ben's wedding - Peggy would always make me feel like family...in all the very, very best ways!
Michelle is one of the dearest people in my life - I feel beyond fortunate to have her as a friend and 'sistah' and kindred spirit. I hate that this has happened. Thankfully, the Schmitts know how to feel, and how to feel and love together, and, Michelle has an incredible, feeling and loving partner and Husband, Ben, and their baby growing inside her. Wherever Peggy's spirit is now, I know she is helping everyone who mourns her loss feel it together, as family.
Rest in peace and love, Peggy, rest in peace and love.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
i love you, dear friend.
Post a Comment